Main menu

Pages

The best places to travel by train in Europe for 3 weeks

The best places to travel by train in Europe for 3 weeks


Ahhh Europe! I like diversity. Sip cocktails on the banks of the Seine in Paris or take a cruise in the Julian Alps in Slovenia. No matter where you go, there's always an exciting new adventure waiting for you.

I will never forget the day when my "European dreams" came true. Traveling through Europe by train gave me my first "real" taste of the travel lifestyle. I became obsessed and never looked back. Which ultimately led to the creation of my travel blog 😉

When I was 19 with a few cocktails, I and a group of friends decided to sit down at my kitchen table and plan our very first backpacking trip through Europe. We have made a detailed list of the places we want to see and the period in which we want to see them. We were determined to identify some of the best Interrail destinations in Europe while discovering some of the most off-road sites. That's when we came up with a 3-week Interrail route through Europe. And today I would like to share it with you.

So if you are looking for an unforgettable summer full of endless memories and exciting experiences. Look no further because this 3 week's itinerary is exactly what you are looking for.

The first stop on this 3-week itinerary is Budapest, Hungary

Budapest is nicknamed the "Paris of the East" and I understand why. The Hungarian capital has it all, from rich culture to stunning architecture, and delicious cuisine. From the moment I entered the enchanted city, I didn't want to leave.

There are many reasons why Budapest appears on most Interrail routes. For starters, walking around is super cheap, eating doesn't cost an arm and a leg and well...it's a great place for a glass or two of champagne.

I'm not afraid to admit that Budapest is by far my favorite city in Europe and I can't wait to go back!

What to do in Budapest:

There is so much to see and do in Budapest that it's hard to do it all in one trip. To make things easier, I've put together a list of my top favorites.

  • Walk up Castle Hill to enjoy panoramic views of the Danube
  • Get up close to the most amazing parliament in the world
  • Go on an adventure in the caves under the city.

No matter what you choose to do, you're sure to have fun. So get excited and start planning today!

Recommended stay time: 4 days

Currency: They use the Hungarian Forint (HUF) in Budapest.

Estimated budget: I advise people with a backpacker budget to aim for 30€ per day. For those of you like me on a backpacker budget with a bit of adventure (also known as a cave tour), aim for €40 per day. This includes accommodation and food.

Accommodation: As for accommodation, I don't have a place to recommend yet as my trip was before my blogging days. However, I recommend booking with booking.com for peace of mind, reliable reviews, and free cancellation.

The second stop on the Interrail route is Split Croatia

Split is a stunning port city that offers a great mix of modern amenities and evidence of the historic Roman Empire. It's the perfect place to watch the sunset along the waterfront, laze around the beautiful white sand beaches or admire the magnificent old architecture. It's impossible to run out of things to do in Split and this is just a sampling of some of my favorite things to do.

What to do in Split:

  • Spend a few hours exploring the impressive buildings of the old town.
  • Spend the day at the sun-drenched beach.
  • Take a trip near Trogir to see some of the filming scenes from Game of Thrones.
  • Spend the day visiting nearby islands.

Recommended stay time: 4 days

Currency: They use Croatian kuna in Split (HRK)

Estimated budget: For a backpacker budget, you will need around 25-30€ per day. Add another 10 euros if you jump on Island Hopping or rafting. This includes accommodation and food.

Accommodation: Again, this trip was before my blogging days. However, I recommend booking with booking.com for peace of mind, reliable reviews, and free cancellation.

The next stop is Lake Bled, Slovenia

It's time for my favorite stop on our 3 week trip to Europe, Slovenia. Slovenia is a truly magical country, from the moment I set foot I felt like I had stepped into a real version of a fairy tale. Besides the Disney goodness, Slovenia is known for its alpine mountains, beautiful national parks, and sparkling lakes.

There is so much to see and do in Slovenia that it will take you weeks to do it all. During a stay in Slovenia, I recommend based on the beautiful Lake Bled. It is very central and easy to get to most places.

What to do in Slovenia:

  • Walk around Lake Bled
  • A crystal clear view of the Emerald River
  • Pass the rocks at Boeing Lake
  • Take endless photos at Vintgar Gorge.
  • Enjoy one of the beautiful walking tours in Slovenia

Words cannot truly describe the beauty of Slovenia. An essential destination on any Interrailing route.

Recommended stay time: 4 days

Currency: they use the euro in Slovenia

Estimated Budget: The budget for daily items such as food, accommodation, and small daily activities is the same as their allocated budget. So, 30€ to 35€ per day should do the trick. However, if you plan to participate in adventure activities like canyoning or a day trip to 3glav national park, I suggest you bring an extra €150-200. Believe me, they are worth every penny.

Accommodation: Again, this trip was before my blogging days. However, I recommend booking with booking.com for peace of mind, reliable reviews, and free cancellation.

The fourth stop on our 3-week Interrail route is Munich, Germany

My stay in Munich was short, so I can't advise you on many things to do there. However, I can advise you on what not to do when traveling through Europe. Now, one might wonder, "How do four people stick in a foreign city until five in the morning and end up homeless?"

The answer is simple, we forgot to reserve our seats for a connecting train, and when we arrived all seats were sold out.

The next train did not leave until five o'clock in the morning. So... that means we're stuck here.

We also had a great idea of ​​storing our bags in lockers which meant we had no clothes to wear. ...But hello! Things like this are all part of the experience, aren't they?

Now, before you start panicking, not all Interrail trains need reservations, just make sure you do your research before you go.

Plus, I can promise you it wasn't too bad. We spent 5 hours of light during the day in an unexpected city. And in the evening the bouncer finally convinced us to let us into the cocktail bar while wearing a sports shirt and hoodie, it took a lot of begging but it was worth it.

Now you might be wondering why you decided to include Munich in this itinerary. Well... that's because in those five short hours I fell in love with the amazing towns, wide main streets, and friendly people. And it's only right that you get it too.

Tried to make another trip to Munich, but that's another story for another time. Because I have to connect with the Interrail route...

Recommended stay time: 2 days

The next stop on our 3-week itinerary is Prague in the Czech Republic

Prague is a wonderful city. It has great nightlife and many interesting places to explore. And for a nice bonus, it's super cheap.

Prague was halfway through the trip so it was nice to spend a little knowing it wouldn't break the bank. You can walk around the city, experience the culture, and make new friends while spending very little money. My favorite things to do in Prague are free or relatively cheap.

What to do in Prague:

  • Join one of the many tours of Prague
  • Spend the night on the party boat
  • Pedal boat rental on the Vltava
  • Explore the old town
  • Walk on the Charles Bridge

Recommended stay time: 3 days

Currency: They use Czech crowns in Prague

Discretionary budget: As mentioned, Prague is relatively inexpensive. Travelers on a backpacker budget should receive €30 per day.

Accommodation: Again, this trip was before my blogging days. However, I recommend booking with booking.com for peace of mind, reliable reviews, and free cancellation.

The next stop on this 3 week's itinerary is Berlin, Germany

Berlin is a big city. You need at least three days there. One for finding your directions and two for sightseeing and a bit of wandering. The historic city has so much to offer that you will easily get lost, so I recommend booking a bus tour. This will save you from missing out on the best tourist attractions. It's a great way to see the city without getting lost. I also recommend setting aside 3 or 4 days to explore Germany's capital.

What to do in Berlin:

  • Discover the Brandenburg Gate
  • Take 101 photos of Berlin's famous TV tower
  • Take a free walking tour
  • Discover Berlin's nightlife
  • Learn about the Berlin Wall and its history

Recommended stay time: 3 days

Currency: they use the euro in Berlin

Estimated budget: Berlin is expensive! Therefore, depending on what you want to do, I recommend bringing at least 50 euros per day. This will cover food and accommodation for backpackers. The activities will be complementary.

Accommodation: Again, this trip was before my blogging days. However, I recommend booking with booking.com for peace of mind, reliable reviews, and free cancellation.

The next stop on the 3 week's itinerary is Amsterdam in the Netherlands

Amsterdam is a wonderful city! In fact, it's one of my favorite things in all of Europe. One of the best things about Amsterdam is the size of the cities. It is easy to get around without the need for public transport. Amsterdam is a must on any itinerary in Europe.

What to do in Amsterdam:

  • Walk the street and get great photos of Amsterdam's canals
  • Take a free walking tour
  • Enjoy the nightlife of Amsterdam
  • Take a boat trip

Recommended stay time: 3 days

Currency: they use the euro in Amsterdam

Estimated budget: Amsterdam can be expensive, of course, it depends on what you want to do, I recommend bringing at least 50 euros per day. This will cover food and accommodation for backpackers and some activities will be extra.

Accommodation: Again, this trip was before my blogging days. However, I recommend booking with booking.com for peace of mind, reliable reviews, and free cancellation.

Last stop: Interrail Paris, France routes

It wouldn't be a European adventure without a stop in the city of love. Paris is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, and although it can be expensive, it is definitely worth it. Paris is a big city much like Berlin, however, I recommend walking as much as possible. This way you can experience the culture, city life and all that Paris has to offer. The photo above is from Galeries Lafayette. This is my favorite view of Paris.

What to do in Paris:

  • Take photos of the Eiffel Tower like never before.
  • Look for the famous Mona Lisa in the Louvre.
  • Find all the places in Paris on Instagramable
  • Try the baguette
  • Take a photo with the Arc de Triomphe

Recommended stay time: 3 days

Currency: They use Euro in Paris

Estimated budget: The budget needed for Paris will be similar to Berlin, so 50 euros per day is a must. Again, this will cover food and accommodation for backpackers for the day. The activities will be complementary.

Accommodation: Again, this trip was before my blogging days. However, I recommend booking with booking.com for peace of mind, reliable reviews, and free cancellation.

This brings us to the end of our European itinerary. I want to thank you for taking the time to read this article and hope it helps you plan your backpacking trip to Europe! Enjoy an incredible adventure.

Comments